Polishing Your Prose
and Indie Publishers
Larry Edwards explaining "What Editors Do"
National Authors' Day, 2012.
Writing & Editing
- Book Publishing Checklist & Estimated Costs — PYP workshop handout (PDF download)
- POD (print on demand) Cost Comparison / Pros & Cons —
CreateSpace vs. IngramSpark — PYP workshop handout (PDF download)
- Taking the Mystery Out of Ebook Formatting — presentation to SD/PEN and SDWEG (PDF download)
- The Fine Print of Self-Publishing: A Primer on Contracts, Printing Costs, Royalties, Distribution, Ebooks, and Marketing (sixth edition) — Book Review — this book is a “must read” for anyone thinking of self-publishing a book, or who has already published and wants to consider other options
- Ebook Formatting: Tips & Traps — PYP workshop handout: companion to Ebook Formatting presentation (PDF download)
- Aaron Shepard's Publishing Page: The New Business of Self Publishing (website) — in-depth information for self-/indie publishers, and I agree with most of what he says
- Aaron Shepard's Publishing Blog: Self Publishing With Amazon, Kindle, CreateSpace, and Lightning Source/IngramSpark (website) — information updates and industry changes
- Start Here: How to Self-Publish Your Book (website) — a good overview, and I agree with most of what she says; for in-depth information, see Aaron Shepard's Publishing Page
- Self-Publishing 101: Why Indy Publishers Are Smart to Use Two Printers and Not Just One (Daily Kos, website) — this has a good comparison of CreateSpace and IngramSpark, and I agree with most of what this writer says, which is along the lines of Aaron Shepard's advice
- CreateSpace (Amazon) (website) — POD (print on demand) printing/publishing and distribution
- IngramSpark (website) — POD (print on demand) printing and distribution, ebook distribution
- KDP/Kindle (Amazon) (website) — ebook production and sales
- Smashwords (website) — ebook production, distribution and sales
- Book Marketing Primer — presentation to SD/PEN and SDWEG (PDF download)
- Book Marketing Handout — PYP handout: companion to Book Marketing Primer (PDF download)
- Using Social Media for Promoting Your Book: The Why, Where, When and How — presentation to SDWEG (PDF download)
- Using Social Media for Promoting Your Book - Handout — PYP handout: companion to Using Social Media for Promoting Your Book (PDF download)
- Build Book Buzz (website) — DIY book marketing tips, tools, and tactics from Sandra Beckwith
- PR Advice for Self-Pub Authors (website) — excellent advice from book publicist Julia Drake
- Social Media Examiner Marketing Report (website) — social media marketing industry report 2015
- Chris Syme, Smart Marketing for Authors (website) — advice, webinars on using Facebook and other social media
- Gemini Adams, book marketing, Finish Your Book Now (website) — advice, webinars on using social media; database of book reviewers (fee-based)
- Terry Doherty, book marketing, The Reading Tub (website)
- Fauzia Burke — Online Marketing for Busy Authors (website)
Forums, Discussion Groups
Cover Design and Interior Layout
Many of the book covers featured herein were designed by Tim Brittain. He also did a number of the interior designs and layouts for printing, as well as ebook conversions and website designs for authors. Contact Tim at (619) 421-6344 or twbrit[at]cox[dot]net.
Some of the book covers featured herein were designed by Monkey C Media. The company also does interior design and layout, and website design. Contact Monkey C Media/Jeniffer Thompson at (619) 955-8286 or info[at]monkeycmedia[dot]com.
If you have questions or other topics you'd like to see addressed, please let me know.
Copyright © 1994-, Larry M Edwards